Monday, January 27, 2003

Pause rewind replay, warm memory chip

This idea from Gibson strikes me as, well, a load of crap.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all about technology. I have a digital audio workstation I use for home recording. The most recent Melodyboy recordings were done digitally. That said, we kept the digital nature of our project in mind and looked for ways to "rehumanize" the tones we were getting. Call me old-fashioned, but there's just something to be said for the old school.

It also strikes me that this technology that Gibson is shooting for is really nothing new. For years, musicians have been able to purchase MIDI systems for their guitars, which allow the player to do any number of things to their sounds. I can't recall the last time I saw anyone actually using the system in a live application. As for myself, I've even gotten away from active electronics and solid-state equipment in my bass setup. Some call it retro. I call it a clean tone.

I don't think that musicians will be jumping to adopt the Gibson system, either. (At least guitarists. Keyboardists are a different breed.) Oh, it might find some fans in the computer-based recording circles, but I can't see it being very useful in a live performance. If the guitar uses Cat5 cable to connect, then won't you need a special RJ45-enabled amplifier? I suppose you could jack into a laptop and then go from there to the soundboard, but what happens when you have a system crash? Yeah, I know that the guitar will feature "traditional" pickups and outputs as well, but then what's the point in the first place?

"I'm sorry, we'll restart that version of '21st Century Schizoid Man' as soon as our guitarist reboots." Ugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home