Sunday, February 16, 2003

People Marching in the Streets

Oh lucky Austin! This weekend marks two traffic-snarling events-on-foot.

Saturday saw some 10,000 people marching in protest of war in downtown Austin. Similar protests happened around the world, which of course both the pro-war camp and Saddam immediately took to be implicit support for the Butcher of Baghdad. Nothing could be further from the truth. While no doubt there is someone, somewhere within the "anti-war camp" who actually thinks Saddam is a good guy, the vast majority of people simply believe condemning innocents to death to get rid of him isn't a bargain they're willing to accept.

I'm really struck at how silent the pro-war crowd has been during these marches. Every story has, of course, the obligatory paragraph about "supporters of President Bush." But it seems to me that if the pro-war camp has such a solid base of "Americans" behind it, then rallying them to show their support for waging war should be no problem. I can only take the fact that so few pro-war demonstrators have shown up to mean that support for Bush's war is tepid at best. Alternately, would-be organizers might realize that such a pro-war march would draw out the most bloodthirsty, souless people that inhabit the right-wing fringes.

Oh, the other thing snarling traffic? The Motorola marathon ... I'm thinking we shoulda killed two birds with one stone and had the I'll Go To War When You Pry My Cell Phone From My Cold, Dead Hands protest/marathon. Protesting the indiscriminate killing of innocent Iraqi civilians/ensuring the survival of future Moto customers is a win-win situation, it seems to me. And of course, it was won by a European, which just ties it all together fittingly.

I'm surprised some marketing flack hasn't picked up this angle yet ... oh yeah, I forgot. Concern for innocent Iraqi civilians is treasonous these days.


Report from the field:

"Were Century of Crap reporters on sight at the local statement of foreign policy?! I sure as hell should hope so....a new younger group self-motivated, self-organized group o' youngsters were, they've come to call themselves, "Youth For Peace" their slogan, "uniting students against war, USADUBYA, or uh, USAW, i mean. Rumour has it they organized in a local junior high, they were announced at the rally, recognized to the 10,000 and asked the crowd to discuss ideas in groups of 3-5 to stagerize against war, they would be coming around with notecards, for their ideas."

New on the block

The South Austin Reviewer has a piece on MC Hawking.

Now, I thought I was pretty tuned in to the major cultural movements of fin de siecle America. But Nerdcore? New to me. Who knew that renowned physicist Stephen Hawking moonlights as a rapper/lead singer with a bone or two to pick?

I give it a 92 -- it's got a great beat, and you can laugh to it ...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home