Tuesday, May 27, 2003

Back to the grind

It was a nice, though slighty busy, Memorial Day weekend for yours truly.

Saturday was pretty much devoted to a wedding gig with the Bill Jerram Band. It was at a place out on Lake Travis called Villa Antonia. Yeah, it's a mediterranean style villa. Pretty nice. The only real problem with the venue, as it were, was that the owners insisted on sticking the band in a back room. Later on, the groom was apologetic and insisted that he would have rather had us out in the courtyard. Oh well. Things got cut a little short for us when one of the wedding guests collapsed and EMS was called. By the time it was cleared up, we were well past the witching hour of 9:30 p.m.

The bride and groom graciously invited us to the "after party" -- at Tangerines. Now, Tangerines has to be the cheesiest bar in Austin. It was chosen because of its proximity to the Rennaisance Hotel, which is where all the wedding guests were staying. I can't say that I'll be going back to Tangerines anytime soon, though.

Sunday, we piled in the family roadster and went to visit my wife's grandfather for his 75th birthday. The kids got to hear some of his childhood stories -- like the fact that his family rode around in a horse and buggy for many years. He also told them about when he lived in Austin back in the 40s -- they didn't believe him that it was before Town Lake existed.

Monday, I drove out to Wimberly to correct a double billing I got on my credit card the weekend before when I went canoeing with my brother Monty. I stopped at Monty's on the way home, but he wasn't there -- still traveling back from visiting his inlaws in Houston. That didn't stop me from having a cold beer from his Kegorator, which is in his conveniently unlocked garage. I stopped at the store on the way home and picked up grilling goodies. When I got home, I got my son to help me load bags of grass clippings and brush into my truck, which we then took to the local dump. For whatever reason, I can't figure out when the city comes to pick this stuff up, so I just hold on to it and go to the dump every couple of months. After a stop at the hardware store for more propane, we headed home and I grilled up some beef ribs and Elgin Hot Sausage. That and a couple of Negro Modelos put me to sleep by 10:30 p.m.

Some exciting life I live, huh?


Post a Comment

<< Home