Monday, May 12, 2003

The grand facade

I decided a while back to take a wait-and-see attitude about "The War." Now that it's been announced "officially over" by George W. Bush in his heroic landing and speech on a carrier off the coast of California, I think it's time for some analysis.

Of course, my worst fears about a complete collapse of supply lines came to naught. But really, there was never a question in my mind that we didn't have the power to completely overthrow the country. My concerns for civilian casualities -- well, the destruction wasn't as widespread as I thought it might be, but still innocent people died. A coworker of mine sent a story around about a kid who had his hands blown off, trying to make a point that someday, this kid would probably thank America for taking out Saddam. I sent my coworker a followup story that had the kid complaining that the Americans weren't helping -- he thought we'd give him new hands.

Life doesn't appear to be getting any better for the average Iraqi. Complete anarchy, anyone? Oh, but we "have a plan." Sure, like the plan we had for Afghanistan. Forgive me if I'm less than convinced.

Meanwhile, Bush continues his efforts to help the bottom line and boost the economy while not appearing to clean out the treasury.

Is one term really too much too hope for?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home