Friday, July 11, 2003

More bass

I made a trip into the offices of Very Large Corporation today, a rare thing for me since I've been officing out of the house for some time now. I was lured by two things: the last time I was there, I left my spare laptop power supply; also, my co-worker Dolby brought in some home-made mango ice cream. Tasty!

On my way to the office, I stopped by The Custom Shop and talked to Keith about my bass plans. He was very forthright and honest. He said the modifications needed to fit the bridge pickup into my bass were a bit risky and, in the long run, wouldn't add any real value to my bass. He did say that he'd be more than happy to help with getting it fit in, but that I'd probably be better off just buying a bass that has the sound I want.

So, probably no mods to the current bass, other than maybe a new pickguard to change the look up a little bit. On my way home from the office, I stopped at just about every guitar store in town. Most of them didn't have the pickguard I wanted, and the ones who did were way overpriced. The places who didn't have it said they could order it ... but then again, I can do that myself on the Internet and save about 20 bucks.

I did get to play a Fender Geddy Lee Signature Jazz model at Guitar Center, where I also played a very nice used Fender American Standard. It was blonde with a maple fingerboard, and had a nice tone. The salesman was ready to cut me a deal right then and there -- I walked out before laying down the cash, though. It's enough money that the Mrs. would have definite veto power, and spending it without her approval would put me in the doghouse for a very, very, very long time.

Gonna have to wait until I save the cash. Must play more gigs ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home