Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Been a long time

I haven't updated the blog in a while, for lots of reasons, most of them having to do with a busy schedule: work, family and music have kept me focused on a lot of things, none of them this blog.

Yesterday, I got a chance to put my new IBM Thinkpad T-30 to good use: I worked from the deck of Opal Divine's, which is one of the growing number of establishments in Austin offering free WiFi access. It only took me about five minutes to figure out that it was more than just starting up the computer and going -- I had to open a browser directed at Opal's homepage to get redirected to a sign-in page. After that, I simply fired up my VPN client and I was working just as well as I do from my home office. But it was better: a sunny fall day in Austin virtually demands that one spend time outside, and Opal's deck was a good place to do it. I even managed to handle some business calls between bites of the Philly Cheesesteak Tacos.

Being downtown, I also got to see the plane that circled for some time towing a banner that read, in part, "Fire Democrat Senators." I can only imagine that the sponsor of the banner was trying to take advantage of folks gathering in Wooldridge Park to hear Wesley Clark speak. Seems like a wasted effort to me -- anyone interested in Clark as a candidate would be more likely to want to hire more Democratic senators. But maybe that's just me.

In the news, it's been fun to watch the spin from both sides of the aisle as "the Plame Affair" gains traction. I don't know yet whether this one will stick -- Bush seems to be as teflon coated as Reagan and Clinton at times. I don't think a DOJ investigation will be enough -- but it remains to be seen whether the Democrats can muster enough Republican support for an independent investigation. Definitely one to stay tuned for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home